Discovering services

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sat Jul 8 04:54:04 PDT 2006

Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>>
>>> I would not recommend activating stuff just to introspect it, no.
>>
>> Ok, that would mean we're left with the static introspection info
>> that could somehow be stored with the service.
>>
>> But I agree with you that this might prove difficult as well because
>> if people have to generate that info themselves they will either a)
>> not do it, b) forget it, c) get it wrong (differences between the
>> static info and the actual interfaces for example).
>>

> I think you missed Havoc's point.
>
> Languages that have built in introspection/reflection facilities like
> Java, python, Mono should be able to auto generate the introspection
> xml in their bindings (that way it is not subject to human error when
> manually mapping them out)

Are you sure? Maybe I got side-tracked somewhere, but I thought this
thread was about how to get to the introspection info when the service
isn't activated?

In that case it doesn't matter which language the service is written in
because in all cases it needs to be running to provide the information.

But please put me back on track if I've somehow misinterpreted what this
is all about :-)

-Tako