Splitting out core and bindings final stages

Rob Taylor robtaylor at floopily.org
Sun May 7 16:17:59 PDT 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 16:46 +0100, Rob Taylor wrote:
>> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

>>> On the dbus irc channel.  Remember the move is only for the bindings
>>> right now and not core.
>>>

>> I should say that the consensus for git isn't absolute
>
> I was pretty strong.  In fact if I remember correctly the sentiments
> were (paraphrasing) "anything but SVN" and "git looks like the best
> choice".

IIRC, we definitely decided on a distributed RCS. I still think its best
to evaluate the options before jumping ship.

>> - One worry I
>> have is that it doesn't work on windows.
>
> Except that it does, Cairo devs has been using it since they switched.

Hmm, yes, it seems that I'm mistaken, but it's not without its problems:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=114131099531633

>> I like the idea of using a
>> distributed RCS, but probably bzr would be better for a cross platform
>> library like this. Dafydd Harries is currently having a look at the
>> feasibility of importing and syncing dbus cvs with bzr, so I'll report
>> back on that when he has some results.
>
> Yay, yet another tool for fd.o admins to look after.  I'm half tempted
> to just replay the git split back into CVS to avoid the controversy that
> this is going to cause.

We've often discussed putting bzr on fd.o. I don't think its a huge
issue and I really don't see any controversy in evaluating our options.

Do remember that Robert McQueen is now also an fd.o admin.

> Carl already went through this and wrote up a nice why git when he went
> through the cairo change
> (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-February/006255.html).
>
> The main points are
>
> A) It really doesn't matter which distributed VCS we use because they
> all basically work the same and if at one point one tool turns out to be
> the winner it is easy to go from one to the other
>
> B) git's layered approach makes it very easy to make it do what you
> want.  I can attest to this fact being that splitting out the repository
> was easier than I thought.
>
> Also Carl's knowledge with respect to git is nothing to sneeze at.
> Having him as a resource at fd.o is invaluable.  What it comes down to
> is the tide is moving towards git at fd.o.  The general consensus of the
> active d-bus devs was to go to a distributed system (Havoc being the one
> holdout which does hold a lot of weight, but you said you wouldn't be a
> blocker ;-).  I saw no point in going against the tide since the
> advantages of sticking with what the rest of fd.o is doing (with the
> free resources that affords us) far outweighs the differences between
> git, bzr and mercurial.

It's certainly valuable to have expertise in a system to consult! As far
as bzr goes, Dafydd Harries has a lot of experience in it, being an
ex-Canonical employee. Canonical has been using bzr for all their source
code management for quite a long time now, and everything I've heard
from those using it has been good.

You should note that Carl didn't really evaluate bzr in the above post...

> Already the d-bus developers are stretched thin in terms of time
> allotted to developing for it.  My goal and in fact my job as the
> defacto maintainer is to move us forward to a stable 1.0.  If we are
> going to block on this I'm serious about being just as well with
> sticking with CVS.

How bad a block is a few days of evaluating our options? Once we switch
we'll be stuck with our choice, so I would certainly hope we choose one
that's most developer-time efficient going forward. We certainly don't
want to add more work to our stretched roles already ;)

I would suggest that we get both bzr and git repos set up and try them
both out before jumping ship in any direction.

Thanks,
Rob Taylor