[ANNOUNCE] D-Bus 1.0 RC 2 (0.94) released

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 17 14:57:29 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>I meant something different by "between" and "across", like:
>
>  ---------------- Reboot --------------------- Reboot --------------
>          \-----------------------/
>                  Across
>                          \--------------------/
>                                 Between

Oops. Thanks for the nice illustration.

Between reboots = during one uptime session.

Yes, the UUID can't change there.

>> But if we default to --ensure on boot, but to /etc, then we guarantee
>> that:
>>
>> 1) testers of the distribution will see a "Read-only filesystem" error
>> during boot and will fix it
>>
>> 2) people with standard /etc will have a stable UUID that is
>> maintained across reboots
>>
>> 3) people who haven't rebooted yet will not have auto-start working
>> after they first install D-Bus 0.94 (or 1.0).
>>
>>> Well, I think it's obviously wrong to have a busted system until I
>>> reboot. Assuming we move to /var by default, tell me what the %post
>>> will harm.
>>
>> It'll only be busted if the file doesn't exist already in /etc. So
>> it's a once-per-machine thing, and that's assuming D-Bus wasn't
>> installed with the system before your first real boot into it.
>>
>> This will mostly affect our BSD friends who will build D-Bus from the
>> ports tree, instead of having it installed with the base system.
>
>Well, also I'm pretty sure there are plenty of distributions that
>continue to make virtually everything optional, including dbus ...
>
>Even in the initial install case, I would not be surprised if some later
>%post tries to use dbus at some point, i.e. a %post script can normally
>rely on dependency packages being fully ready to go.

Ok, I see your point.

So how about modifying our init script to --ensure just before the system
bus is started and we recommend distributions to use %post, with a big
warning that the script mustn't be run during the installation of a
livecd image?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358