OLPC and .service files in a users home directory

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 11:23:57 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 14:06 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using the XDG_ locations makes sense to me. Maybe something like
>   <servicedir xdg_relative="true">relative/path</servicedir>
> ?

Thiago says the standard is:

XDG_DATA_HOME=${XDG_DATA_HOME-$HOME}/.local
XDG_DATA_DIRS=${XDG_DATA_DIRS-/usr/share:/usr/local/share}

Assuming davidz's system bus activation patch is applied eventually we
want the ability to distinguish from XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS.
See my last mail for another suggestion.

> I've seen a couple side mentions of merging .service and .desktop; can
> someone fill me in on the goal of that? Other than the two both being in
> .ini format, I don't see the similarity...
>
> Re: cascading config - is there any reason to install config files for
> the session bus? For the system bus it's only the security policy stuff.
>
> John, you mentioned also doing this for the system bus. Allowing system
> bus policy files in homedirs doesn't seem conceivably secure though?
> Does OLPC have some trick for this?

No I didn't or it was a typo if I did :-)  All we need the servicedir in
the home directory for the session bus.

> I'd think that on a system allowing homedir installs, there are
> conceptually a couple different kinds of thing to install. 1) OS
> components or "drivers" that have to be in the trusted core - this may
> even be locked down and third party vendors should not expect to be able
> to install this stuff 2) "apps" that anyone can install
>
> Anyway, I don't think any of this can block 1.0 unless it's a lot
> smaller than expected...
>
> Havoc

The homedir stuff and using XDG locations looks like a small fix if we
can agree on the way we want to expose it.