D-Bus on Win32, and dbus-glib question

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Nov 9 10:47:10 PST 2007

Gnaural schrieb:
> I'm linux-based, and write my apps for linux, but also
> MinGW my stuff into Win32 apps when it is easy (since
> they reliably get 20-times as many downloads). Tor
> Lillqvist's GLib and GTK Win32 ports have been key to
> being able to do this. Thanks as always Tor.
>
> Problem is, I've recently worked D-Bus using GLib
> bindings in to my Gnaural app, and while I am very
> pleased with it, it looks like I can't cross-compile
> this to windows yet, since there appears to be no
> dbus-glib port yet. Is this correct?
>
> I figure I can just rewrite my little D-Bus server in
> straight D-Bus API, since it looks like people are
> using precompiled D-Bus Win32 ports like these:
> http://82.149.170.66/kde-windows/win32libs/zip/complete/dbus-mingw-1.1.2.20070919.zip
>
> But before I do that, I just wondered if anybody a)
> knew the status of Win32 dbus-glib bindings
I do not know about any ports of the glib binding on win32. The Qt
binding are already working on win32 and is used for the kde on windows
project.
> and b)
> what people's experiences have been trying to get
> Win32 D-Bus apps working (like, do you distribute the
> daemon with the app?,
for kde on windows the daemon (and libdbus-1) is distributed in a
separate binary package you already have mentioned.
> do you launch it from a batch
> file?, etc.)

libdbus-1 on win32 contains code to autostart the dbus-daemon on demand,
so there is no need to launch is specific. It has only to be in the PATH
environment variable or in the same directory as the application.

Regards
Ralf