building dbus and its configure options

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Fri Aug 22 12:25:09 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Fritz Code <codefritz at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I need that prefix since I'm cross-compiling. With the prefix I specify
> where my toolchain is located and where the library and binarys are supposed
> to be installed.
> In my opinion the compiler prefix is only the path where the packages get
> installed or copied to.
> But it doesn't affect the packages-specific settings like in this case for
> d-bus its socket-path or config-path.
>
> Prefix is, in my opinion, only an option for autoconf, gcc etc. but not for
> the package (dbus) itself isn't it?

The prefix is where dbus (or any autoconf software) will expect to be
installed when it's actually running. When you are building, though,
you can install elsewhere by setting either DESTDIR or the individual
install variables on the "make install" command line. This is how RPM
does it (RPM packages do not install to the real final location during
the package build process)

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html
http://wiki.freebsd.org/DESTDIR

In addition to DESTDIR you can do "make prefix=/whatever install" as
described here:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html#Directory-Variables

This is not really a dbus-specific topic. (Though judging by how often
people ask how to use autotools for cross-compilation on this list,
dbus is the first or only package people try to cross-compile that
uses autoconf)