winDBus appl (client) communicated with DBus (server)

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 14:14:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 14:55 -0700, Wilson Khoo wrote:
> Hi
>     I have a working client and server App in Ubuntu. I was wondering if it is possible to run the client code in Windows under winDbus and have it communicate with the server program in Ubuntu?
>     if the above is possible, is there working glib code in win32? My Client code uses dbus-glib.h, the dbus-binding-tools also generated DBus bindings using glib. I found in below info that someone is getting dbus-glib ported, where can I find the binaries?
> http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1805

Not sure, you should ask in that forum.  I'm guessing it is simply a
matter of setting up a correct build environment and seeking out all of
the non portable pieces though for D-Bus glib I don't see where there
would be any other than sloppy programming.  If there are changes
patches should be posted here so they can be fixed.

As for using winDBus it should work fine since it is the same source
tree (or a snapshot at least) and uses the same protocol.  One thing
though, D-Bus hasn't been used much for inter-machine communications.
There is no security built in when using TCP sockets so everything is
sent out in the open.

Feel free to hack SSH forwarding and SSL into the transport.  We would
love a patch for that.