Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Oct 7 23:53:29 PDT 2008

I've implemented automatic activation of my D-Bus service; and it seems
to be working fine for me.  However, I have a user reporting this error:

        ** (openvrml-player:19497): CRITICAL **: Browser creation failed: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
        **
        ** ERROR:(../../src/openvrml-player/curlbrowserhost.cpp:347):void openvrml_player_curl_browser_host_load_url(OpenvrmlPlayerCurlBrowserHost*, const char*): assertion failed: (host->priv->browser)
        Aborted

... which is coming from the remote call in this code:

        DBusGProxy * browser_factory =
            dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name(connection,
                                      "org.openvrml.BrowserControl",
                                      "/BrowserFactory",
                                      "org.openvrml.BrowserFactory");
        g_return_val_if_fail(browser_factory, 0);
        scope_guard browser_factory_guard =
            make_guard(g_object_unref, G_OBJECT(browser_factory));
        boost::ignore_unused_variable_warning(browser_factory_guard);

        char * browser_path = 0;
        if (!dbus_g_proxy_call(browser_factory,
                               "CreateControl",
                               error,
                               G_TYPE_STRING, host_name,
                               DBUS_TYPE_G_OBJECT_PATH, host_path,
                               G_TYPE_UINT64, host_id,
                               G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, false,
                               G_TYPE_INVALID,
                               DBUS_TYPE_G_OBJECT_PATH, &browser_path,
                               G_TYPE_INVALID)) {
            return 0;
        }

Normally, the above remote call is the one that should trigger
activation.

The user is using D-Bus 1.1.20 whereas I have 1.2.1. Were there any
fixes between these releases that might account for this issue? If not,
can anyone speculate on what might be the problem here? I'm not entirely
sure where to start looking.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>