libdbus vs libgio

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Sun Sep 9 04:42:36 PDT 2012

Sanel Zukan <sanelz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Better say a mess. Emacs is the first example, what will be the next:
> Firefox, Chromium? If you find current situation reasonable, where
> application for the _same_ job uses _two_ different libraries, try to
> imagine GUI application written with Qt that pops dialogs with Gtk+.

If you inspect the session bus with D-Feet, there seem to be several
applications with more than one unique name. Firefox requests four
unique names (I run Ubuntu 12.04, Firefox 15). The same happens to
Chromium (version 18). D-Feet itself occupies 3 unique names.

I don't know whether this is a problem for those applications, 'though.

>> I won't even comment on the uninformed suggestion of "forking glib".
>
> Why this sounds so bad? pkg-config already successfully done it ;)

I believe forking shall be avoided, as much as possible.

> Regards,
> Sanel

Best regards, Michael.