dbus daemon on MacOS/darwin

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:11:05 UTC 2016

On Wednesday November 02 2016 11:05:42 James Bird wrote:

>I tried to install an application using the pkgsrc package manager on Mac OS (Sierra) which had a dependancy on dbus-1.10.12. I see there has been discussion in the recent past about this here, but I’m no expert, and I haven’t been able to glean from them whether/how it is possible to get the dbus daemon running on MacOS. The conversations reference the brew package manager which isn’t what I’m using.

>Is anyone aware of instructions to get the dbus daemon running on MacOS and could redirect me to such so that I can use the dependant application?

You probably need more than just a running DBus, you'll need the development headers too. It surprises me that pkgsrc doesn't provide a DBus package to satisfy dependencies, but then it's always been the lesser choice for a package manager on Mac in my experience.

MacPorts has an up-to-date DBus port which works just about perfectly. You can use that either to get the daemon up and running and point your package to the install location, or you can roll your own install using the installation "script" (Portfile) as a guideline.

(I'll use this occasion to state I'm not forgetting about the ticket I have open about DBus on the bug tracker, it just requires more time investment I can justify ATM.)

R.