Changing DBUS FileManager1 to Krusader

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Sat Jan 2 13:46:05 UTC 2021

Hello everyone -

Environment - Fedora 33 and KDE/Plasma desktop.  DBUS is version 1.12.20, which I know is very old.  However, it is what Fedora provides.

I am working on a problem that has recently become annoying enough to make me want to research it.

Short version - How do I make DBUS launch Krusader as FileManager1? Currently it launches Nautilus.

Symptoms: This problem can be reproduced at least three ways. Probably any application that has "Open Containing Folder" will fail the same way.

1) In Firefox, download a file. Then click on the arrow icon that lists downloaded files. Right-click on the file and choose "Open Containing Folder". I get Dolphin, when I want Krusader. I have found a work-around for Firefox. The workaround is to add browser.open.dbus.enable=false to the about:config settings. I suspect this setting makes Firefox use the xdg-mime setting instead of DBUS.

2) In Gwenview, from the thumbnail browser right-click on any thumbnail and then choose "Open Containing Folder".

3) In Okular, open a document. Pull down the File menu and choose "Open Containing Folder".

I found a file /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service. It contains only three lines:

    [D-BUS Service]
    Name=org.freedesktop.FileManager1
    Exec=/usr/bin/nautilus --gapplication-service

I changed the Exec line to point to Krusader, and it sort of works. Krusader does get launched. However, it takes 15 to 20 seconds during which time the entire user interface is locked up. It also causes Gwenview to crash hard, triggering an ABRT alert.

Two more notes - I have gone to System Settings and changed the default file manager to Krusader. It does not change this behavior. I also checked xdg-mime and verified that the handler for inode/directory is Krusader.

I suspect that the Gwenview crash happens because Krusader is not able to handle being launched from DBUS. Is that true? If so, where can I put in a feature request?

Also, changing the DBUS file in /usr/share/dbus-1/services means the setting is global for all users. It would be nice to make the setting on a per-user basis. Is that possible?

I posted this question in both FedoraForum and KDE forum, but so far not one reply.  The silence is deafening.

Thanks!

--
Bill Gee