Changing DBUS FileManager1 to Krusader

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jan 2 14:36:00 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 2 January 2021 10:46:05 -03 Bill Gee wrote:
> I found a file
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service. It
> contains only three lines:
>
>     [D-BUS Service]
>     Name=org.freedesktop.FileManager1
>     Exec=/usr/bin/nautilus --gapplication-service
>
> I changed the Exec line to point to Krusader, and it sort of works. Krusader
> does get launched. However, it takes 15 to 20 seconds during which time the
> entire user interface is locked up. It also causes Gwenview to crash hard,
> triggering an ABRT alert.

D-Bus service files do not really work for per-desktop settings. In my system,
I don't have that file (I don't have Nautilus installed) but instead I have
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.dolphin.FileManager1.service, whose
contents are:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.FileManager1
Exec=/usr/bin/dolphin --daemon

There's no solution for auto-launching. If you want a per-desktop override of
a given service, start it early. So your question is to your desktop system
and to your application in particular: have them launch early and claim the
org.freedesktop.FileManager1 service name. And don't quit.

> Two more notes - I have gone to System Settings and changed the default file
> manager to Krusader. It does not change this behavior. I also checked
> xdg-mime and verified that the handler for inode/directory is Krusader.

That's a MIME setting and nothing to do with D-Bus.

> I suspect that the Gwenview crash happens because Krusader is not able to
> handle being launched from DBUS. Is that true? If so, where can I put in a
> feature request?

The Gwenview crash should be sent to Gwenview. The Krusader feature request
should be sent to Krusader.

> Also, changing the DBUS file in /usr/share/dbus-1/services means the setting
> is global for all users. It would be nice to make the setting on a per-user
> basis. Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible. dbus-daemon follows the XDG directory hierarchy and thus
will search ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services too. Put a file there with the same
name and the contents you want.

But it's not a per-desktop setting.

> I posted this question in both FedoraForum and KDE forum, but so far not one
> reply.  The silence is deafening.

It's the time of the year. Give it another two weeks.