upowerd claiming standard FTDI

Joshua Lamorie joshua.lamorie at xiphos.ca
Tue Feb 14 15:02:37 PST 2012

Gidday there,

I have been having a problem with upowerd claiming any FTDI device (such
as a sparkfun USB UART) plugged into my Fedora workstations.  This is
because of the file,

95-upower-wup.rules

which provides upower support for the Watts Up? Pro.[1]

I have read about this in several distribution specific fora, but a
search on your mailing list archive didn't return any hits.

According to the USB UART datasheet from FTDI [2], the idVendor and
idProduct described in the above udev rule clearly refer to devices from
FTDI. Specifically,

FT232BM/L/Q, FT245BM/L/Q
FT232RL/Q, FT245RL/Q

The rule attempts to refine this by limiting the selection to those
chips with iSerial of A80????.  However, this is not limited to products
by Watts Up, Inc.  Shouldn't this rule be checking ATTRS{manufacturer}
and ATTRS{product} ?  The chip allows these values to be programmed by
each manufacturer [3].

I don't have access to a Watts Up? Pro, could someone who maintains this
file check to see if ATTRS{manufacturer} or ATTRS{product} can be used
instead of the idVendor, idProduct and idSerial?

Thanks in advance,

Joshua

[1] -
https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php?pn=0&wai=114&more=3

[2] -
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes/TN_100_USB_VID-PID_Guidelines.pdf

[3] -
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes/TN_102_OEM_Technical_Support_Requirements_for_FTDI_Products.pdf

--
Joshua Lamorie, P. Eng.
Chief Engineer

Email: jpl at xiphos.ca
Phone: +1 (514) 847-9474 ext. 227
Fax: +1 (514) 847-9474

material. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete this communication and any copy immediately. Thank you.