dim setup suggestion

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Sun Nov 11 17:43:54 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:31 PM Souza, Jose <jose.souza at intel.com> wrote:

> After a clear dim setup, I ran 'dim apply-queued' and got this error:
>
> You're on the wrong branch, expected drm-intel-next-queued in
> /home/zehortigoza/dev/dim/linux
>
> Checking the remotes added by 'dim setup' and none of then pointed to
> git.freedesktop.org/git/drm-intel so I added it by hand and did a
> checkout to drm-intel/drm-intel-next-queued to be able proceed with
> 'dim apply-queued'.
>
> I briefly talked to Rodrigo after push the patches to drm-intel-next-
> queued and he told me that I should have run: 'dim conq' after setup
> also that dim was written in generic way so it can be used by other drm
> projects.
>
> So my sugestion is have a 'dim setup <project>' or something similar to
> setup dim as easy as possible for drm-intel and other drm projects.
>
> Also when running 'dim push-queued' I got:
> fatal: no upstream configured for branch 'drm-intel-next-queued'
> fatal: no upstream configured for branch 'drm-intel-next-queued'
> So I probably did not properly fixed it by hand yet.

https://drm.pages.freedesktop.org/maintainer-tools/getting-started.html

seems pretty clear on what needs to be done. But we can definitely
improve the error output of apply-branch and push-branch if the branch
doesn't exist yet.

> Other think is the maintainer-tools branch from
> https://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/drm/drm-tip.git that I think it
> should be removed or kept in sync with
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/maintainer-tools.git . I had started
> the setup using the the old repository as I alread had fetch it some
> time ago but Rodrigo warned me about the new repository.

Just a quick comment on this here: Even if you start out with the old
dim, it should update the next time you run dim update-branches. So
should be all fine. Once we're pretty sure that all existing dim
installations have
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter