Results of the App Installer Meeting

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 27 11:47:23 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 20:44 +0100, FlorianFesti wrote:
> On 01/27/2011 08:33 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> > At the risk of adding lots of fun complexity to this - I've already been
> > asked about apps which are not desktop apps.
> >
> > Specifically for deploying pkgs based on browsing for webapps.
> >
> > "I want to look for webapps I can deploy on my hosted servers"
> >
> > Not a desktop app, but definitely an app.
> >
> > Then again - I assume that this list is only about desktop things - so
> > it's probably moot.
> Nope. I consider this a perfectly valid use case. I really don't see a
> reason why it shouldn't be possible to provide either a desktop file or
> an appdata.xml entry for such "apps". It's something at least I want to
> keep in mind and that actually has been discussed on the meeting.
>
> For now it it probably better to just stick to the desktop applications
> and add other complications as soon as we actually have something up and
> running that we can add complications to.
>
> To translate this into Fedora's name space: There is the perspective
> that appdata.xml replaces a part of the functionality that comps
> currently has. But this is still far away and we need to think about the
> other functionality of comps thoroughly before something like this can
> happen.

comps is tied into a lot of things in anaconda. I don't think comps is
going to go away without a lot of compatibility and a REALLY compelling
argument.

Since app data is just about 'apps' and not about any other kind of
grouping I don't see that argument at all.

This is not to belittle the app data - just that it seems outside of
scope.

-sv