SimpleFB drivers repository?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 15:18:19 CEST 2013

On 10/14/2013 1:02 PM, David Herrmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a repository for the SimpleFB drivers[the DRI driver and the plain
>> framebuffer driver]?
> Which drivers are you exactly talking about? Do you have links to the
> patches? There're several independent projects called "simplefb". If
> you're talking about the simplefb fbdev driver, it's developed
> upstream and available since linux-3.10 (linux-fbdev at vger.kernel.org
> ML). SimpleDRM is developed on this list and still experimental.
> There're no "upstream" repositories just for the drivers. Patches on
> the ML is all there is.

Thanks, it was both of those I was looking for[the one that has been
upstreamed and the DRI one]

I want to use simplefb and the USB webcam gadget to create a USB display
solution - similar to DisplayLink but entirely opensource.

The UVC standard supports streaming in framebuffer mode - and some of
the standard transmission methods have compression options - as well as
allowing for 'vendor defined' formats - so rather than having to reverse
engineer proprietary displaylink compression methods - I prefer to use a
complete open source solution.

simplefb looks like a good fit since it allows me to define the memory
region for the framebuffer to use - so if I can initialize that in the
videobuffer it cuts down on memory copies.