[Intel-gfx] i951 ERRORs and WARN_ON()s (was: blank screen on boot with i915/DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION)

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 27 13:30:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Florian Zumbiehl <florz at florz.de> wrote:
>> Florian, if you're using drm-intel-nigthly submit a bug at
>> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI, with DRM/intel
>> as component. This way we can track some kind of progress/regress. The FIFO
>
> Gee ... is there any way without "creating an account"? Having to create
> accounts everywhere to be able to communicate with people just sucks. I
> mean, do you want to create an account in my todo tracker and use my todo
> tracker's web interface to coordinate the bug investigation? Use whatever
> software you like for managing your todo lists, but please, don't bother me
> with having to use it for you.

The Bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org is our tool of choice for
tracking bugs in drm/i915. It's your choice to not create an account
there, but please, don't expect us to work as a proxy between you and
bugzilla either. It's a much bigger and unscalable inconvenience for us
than it is for you to create that account.

I won't claim your bug will be fixed any faster if you choose to create
an account, but it's much more likely it won't get lost and forgotten in
the never ending stream of emails we all get.

> You mean the ones I reported a month ago should be fixed? Should I try a
> newer nightly to check?

Yes, please.

I'd also like to get a full dmesg from you, with drm.debug=14 module
parameter set, all the way from boot to the problem.

However, personally I find it a bit obnoxious to send big logs by mail
to hundreds or thousands of other people on the lists who really aren't
at all interested in them. Maybe you don't mind bothering them? It's
also not good to hide it away in my private inbox alone, because there
are other developers who will be interested. It has also proven to be
problematic to upload files to pastebins etc. where they expire at some
point in time, usually when we'd like to have a look.

Again, the obvious solution to the above is to file that bug and attach
the dmesg there, at the unfortunate slight inconvenience of you creating
an account there.

Your call.

BR,
Jani.