xdg-app and gtkmm

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 13:53:29 UTC 2015

On tis, 2015-12-08 at 12:47 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 08:41 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > > Yeah, this is failing to register the dbus name
> > > "org.prefixsuffix.application", because the sandboxed app is only
> > > allowed to own names of the form "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix" and
> > > "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix.*". This is to avoid conflicts with other
> > > apps
> > > and with host services. You need to rename the app (or change the
> > > code
> > > to use the new dbus name).
>
> Thanks. Maybe GApplication needs an improved warning there? Or in xdg
> -app?

Yeah, GApplication could probably handle this failure better.

> > I would actually recommend neither, instead change both to use a
> > domain
> > you control. For instance "io.github.murraycu.PrefixSuffix"
>
> I'm making progress. The xdg-app now runs, though GSettings/DConf
> doesn't seem to work, so the app's preferences are not saved. Does
> this
> seem like anything I'm getting wrong in my use of xdg-app-builder? It
> works when used normally in jhbuild.
>
> $ xdg-app run io.github.murraycu.PrefixSuffix
>
> ** (prefixsuffix:2): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility
> bus:
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-PEhoQVzw0X: Connection refused
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>
> (prefixsuffix:2): dconf-WARNING **: unable to open named profile
> (child): using the null configuration.

This is weird, I've not seen it myself. I build prefixsuffix, but I
could not reproduce it here. I do get the accessibility bus warnings
(have not ever researched those in detail), but dconf works.

What distro are you on? Maybe its some dconf setup difference?

After a build, you can debug the app with:
  xdg-app build app bash

then you can from inside the "sandbox" e.g. run prefixsuffix in gdb, or
strace it to see what dconf is trying to do.

You might also want to pass --build-only to xdg-app-builder in this
case so that debug info etc is still available. Of course, then the
finish-args are not applied yet, so the app will not have any
permissions, so you might have to do:
  xdg-app build --socket=x11 app bash

Also, I added the ability for xdg-app-builder to use relative paths for
the git uri. The attached patch makes it just ".git" so that it builds
the current checkout as a bundle, rather than you having to make a
release first.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an old-fashioned arachnophobic matador from a doomed world. She's a
hard-bitten kleptomaniac femme fatale married to the Mob. They fight
crime!