Preparing for a stable branch of flatpak

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at gnome.org
Wed Nov 30 17:11:46 UTC 2016

How are people going to get these files most of the time? A web browser? In
that case the name itself is really not that important as the MIME icon
used in the file browser would give them a hint and at the end of the day
the browser will just open GNOME Software in both cases, right? I think
that the extension should not be considered UI but an implementation detail
for developers and system operators.

If even then we want something more explanatory appsrc and applink might do
it, three letter extensions are a thing of the past and not that unusual
these days to find longer extensions (i.e. .torrent).

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>>     My spontaneous reaction is that .flatpakrepo and .flatpakref are
>>>     just fine while .fpa and .fpr are "please don't".
>>>
>>> Can you explain why?
>>>

>> The latter feel like trying to cram things into the ugliness of the
>> legacy DOS 8.3 world.  In comparison, the former have a more modern feel to
>> them.  (They may be on the long side, but not overly long IMO.)
>>

> The issue isn't that they are "too long". It's that:
>
>  a) they might feel unusual, since long extensions aren't common
>  b) they expect users to know what Flatpak is
>  c) they leak implementation details which users won't know how to
> interpret (particularly the "ref" in "flatpakref")
>
> .flatpakrepo and .flatpakref aren't an issue if you're a developer and
> know what they mean. It's regular users who aren't familiar with these
> things that might have problems.
>
> Allan

Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz