option to download bundles from flathub

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 14:01:57 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-08-24 at 09:26 -0300, Fabio Rafael Rosa wrote:
> Hi all.
>  From what I could figure out (and correct me if Im wrong), the
> prefered
> way to distribute flatpaks, is to give the user a flatpakref file,
> that
> will download and install the app and required runtimes when we do
> flatpak install.
> But, I never see a way to download the whole bundle (except for
> libreoffice, for example).
> Will flathub have an option for that. For example, I search for an
> app
> at flathub website, and can download the whole bundle , so I can
> install
> it offline ?
> I do understand that , doing the whole thing online makes a lot of
> sense, but, offline install is a scenario that, despite being
> supported
> by flatpak, seems deeply ignored (no flatpak app from flatpak.org
> have a
> option to download the bundle instead of the flatpakref). Offline
> machines, o bad connections, are still a reality in several places,
> unfortunatelly.

We're not generating bundle files, because in the long run I don't
think they are very important. However, you should be able to generate
your own from the flathub repo using "flatpak build-bundle" after
having downloaded it. You could easily create a script that does it.

Also, in master there is work on a peer-2-peer mode that lets you
download from locally available repos too, via avahi or from a usb
stick. This is work that endless is sponsoring for supporting flatpak
updates when the network is slow/flaky/expensive.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an immortal alcoholic paranormal investigator She's a strong-willed
impetuous hooker who hides her beauty behind a pair of thick-framed
spectacles. They fight crime!