can we use flatpack eco-system as a universal package system ?

Sriram Ramkrishna sri at ramkrishna.me
Mon Apr 16 16:50:56 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:49 AM Jonathan MERCIER <bioinfornatics at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear,
> I need to manage hundred tools most often it is a library or a command
> line tools. For a same tools we provide many different versions and
> different level of optimization.
> As example python is provided with version 3.2 3.5 and 3.6 and each
> versions own different build flavor, with intel haswell optimization,
> classic intel optimization, classic (any cpu).
>
> Moreover it seem we could use module as a dependencies system so does
> flatpack compete conda as language-agnostic package manager and environment
> management system ?
>
> I would like to know if flatpack feature fit my needs ?

Someone can correct me, but from what I understand it's possible to do
this, but it's not really intended as the primary use case.  We're mostly
targeting desktop paradigm here not necessarily a dev-ops/systems admin
tool.  But it definitely has some benefits in that space if used properly.

You would have to do some research to make something like this happen.
While I might try to put out a theoretical method, I've been removed from
flatpak enough that I'll probably get it wrong. :-)

sri