Handling missing rights (Was:: Newbie question #4)

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:05:15 UTC 2018

On 15/07/18 12:44, Alec Leamas wrote:

> After setting the environment, I can start the server using flatpak run
> --devel, but not without --devel. I presume it does something disallowed
> in the sandbox, but have no clue to what (I cannot run strace without
> --devel).
>
> Any clue how to proceed?  Enclosing a strace log from starting the
> server in a --devel sandbox [2]

After more ad-hoc testing it seems like the server (i. e. the binary
blob oeserverd) does most things (everything?)  up to a fork, but hangs
in the foreground instead of actually spawning a child process and exit
the parent.

More googling reveals that allowing devel capabilities can be done using
 flatpak override --allow=devel. Although working, it seems like a
pretty big hammer to me. Is this indeed the right tool to handle this
situation?

Thoughts?

Cheers!
--alec