[Fontconfig] Filtering set of available fonts

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 04:09:32 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 20:15, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 17 o'clock on Aug 16, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > So, I was trying to figure out how to exclude bitmap fonts when
> > selecting fonts for printing, and my first thought was to
> > do, effectively
>
> Hmm.  Are you sure you want the fonts selected for printing to be
> different from the fonts selected for the screen?  Wouldn't you rather let
> the user de-select bitmap fonts for all environments?

Users frequently want bitmap fonts on the screen; people became much
happer with the switch to fontconfig when we added MiscFixed to the
Red Hat default set of fonts. Users, however, don't particular want
documents to come out completely empty when printing.

While it's possible, I suppose, to write code to print bitmap fonts
to PS output, it seems like a lot of work for something that is
going to be atrociously ugly.

If the app is primarily about printing ... a word processor, say,
then for that app, then rejecting bitmap fonts is something you
want to do for screen display of the document as well as printing,
but you still need a way to do the rejection without making the
user disable bitmap fonts entirely on their system.

> I have a plan for this which involves configuration file extensions...

I don't see this as being particularly useful solution. ("Normal" users
don't edit fonts.conf, normal users don't change their font
configuration at all, in fact, even if you provide a GUI)

Regards,
						Owen