[Fontconfig] Reg. fontconfig and adding a new font for Greek

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Aug 17 03:38:22 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 22:18 +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> (Resending to the list on Keith's request)
>
> Hi,
>   I haven't sent this as a bug report because I'm not sure yet how to
> do it. But here is the situation. I understand that fontconfig
> manages the prefered font list for X, or pango or some font rendering
> engine for that matter, I'm not really into the specifics. In general
> this works fine, but we have a problem with greek locale el_GR, or
> rather the display of greek glyphs.
>
> Unless I create a local.conf file that overrides the serif/sans-serif
> families with the MgOpen (package ttf-mgopen) or the FreeSans
> (ttf-freefont) fonts or any other font supporting greek glyphs), the
> greek glyphs don't appear at all, only squares.

Fontconfig should select a font based on the locale unless the
application overrides that by specifying a language in the font
selection pattern.

You can verify which font is selected for your locale by using

	$ fc-match :lang=el-GR

This should present the first font in your environment which fully
supports Greek.

In any case, pango should never display little boxes if you have a greek
font on your machine as it will always search through all available
fonts when the requested font is missing a glyph.

> I'd gladly send a patch, if I knew a bit more about how it works. Is
> it just a case of adding FreeSans/FreeSerif and the MgOpen* fonts in
> the fonts.conf? If so, FreeSans/FreeSerif is already there, but
> apparently another font takes precedense and erroneously reports of
> supporting greek glyphs, while it can't. I'll try to play around with
> the priority in this, but if you know another way, then I'd be
> interested in knowing about it.

You shouldn't have to edit your configuration to get a working font
automatically.

-keith