[Fontconfig] Font configuration - Debian Sarge.

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Thu Feb 17 15:05:37 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:48:24PM -0500, John Thacker wrote:

> <shrug> Perhaps Owen Taylor's patches for the default
> fonts.config should be considered for the main tree,
> especially if Kaiti is so deprecated.
>
> Of course, a document that's a mix of Chinese scripts and
> Japanese is always going to be tricky if the document doesn't
> have clear language tags in any way.  Especially since many
> Japanese users prefer using Japanese fonts and scripts for
> Chinese, due to different character styles.

I wouldn't say Kaiti is deprecated, but it just isn't sans serif
(it has subtle round serifs), and between it and Songti, Songti
might be a little bit more suitable as a fallback for sans serif
simply because Songti has no italic angle so it matches a little
better with the English fonts.

IMHO the Chinese are less likely to have strong preferences
for the characters styles, so using a Japanese font is likely
ok. It's just when there is a mix, what will actually be
displayed seems to be very unpredictable and I don't seem to be
able to find any docs that explains what has to be done (and how
exactly) to make it more predictable.

Best regards,
--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li at ieee.org>