[Fontconfig] fontconfig 2.2.3 only works with iso8859-1

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 1 08:02:16 EST 2005

Around 21 o'clock on Feb 28, Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> Please don't, at least for iso-8859-1 and iso-10646-1 encodings. I see
> where the new font layout would shine brighter, but probably it's better to not
> fix what ain't broken?

For 10646, PCF is a really bad idea -- it uses an uncompressed array for
the codepoint->glyph mapping table, which means you cannot spread glyphs
across the unicode range without exploding file sizes.

Even for Latin-1, using TTF is a win as we can ship all of the bitmap
sizes in a single file, saving significant space and effort.

Fewer files, less disk space, better i18n support, better performance.
There is no downside here, only a bit of code to ensure all of the
legacy XLFD properties are translated appropriately.

-keith