[fprint] uru4000 reader not working correctly with libfprint, please advise

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Apr 26 07:57:27 PDT 2012

Hello Jules,

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 16:02 +0200, Jules Kerssemakers wrote:
> Dear libfprint-devvers,
>
> For a forensics practical at our university, we want to obtain
> fingerprint images, so the students can simulate the process of
> feature-detection etc. on their own fingerprints.
> For this purpose, we've obtained two DigitalPersona U.are.U 4000
> sensors.

Microsoft fingerprint readers, or something else? The former is the only
one for which we have hardware, and tested.

> We tried to use these with fprint_demo, but though they are
> correctly(?) detected, actual fingerprint detection didn't work.

Works here, though without using fprint-demo.

David Jurenka, who made your packages, apparently took over fprint-demo,
as he did their last release.

Try with fprintd-list, fprintd-enroll, etc. and report to him if
fprint-demo doesn't work.

<snip>
> Questions:
> 1) What can we do at our end to get the fprint-demo program to scan
> fingerprints from our reader?
> 2) How fares the "image capture" part of fprint_demo (and will it
> allow save-to-file?)
> 3) Is there any information I can send you to help you diagnose/fix
> this problem? (command outputs, traces, etc? when provided with
> instructions, I can run USB-sniffers and the like)

Cheers