[fprint] Work on FPrint

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 00:55:32 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Denis Gessert <denisgessert at yahoo.de> wrote:

Hi Denis,

> Dear fprint team,
> the American student organization "Technology Student Association" has every
> year a lot of technology skills requiring competitions. This year they added
> the competition "Open Source Software Developement" in which students have
> to work for a already existing OpenSource project and to document their work
> on it. We, Ostwald TSA, a German Chapter are going to take part in the
> competition and after a bit of research we decided to support the work on
> fprint.
> We chose fprint because it is a OpenSource project which is not to big(as
> for example LibreOffice, Firefox, etc.) so that it is easier to get started
> and to show what we did on the project. Most of our team members have
> already a couple of years of programming experience so that we think that we
> have a good chance to do well.
> We would very appreciate if you could give us some more information about
> the project

What information do you need?

> and where to send our work.

See http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/fprint/libfprint
"Contributing" section. TODO is a bit outdated,
here's my TODO list:

1. Improve imaging performance on devices with small sensors (AES1610, AES1660).
There're several ways to achieve that point:
a) Do 3-5 scans of the same finger during enrollment, store them as
gallery and use for later verification/identification
b) Do 3-5 scans of the same finger during enrollment and assemble them
into one good large image, use it for later
verification/identification

(a) seems to be easier

2. Improve libfprint documentation.
a) We still lack documentation for asynchronous API
b) Document driver model

(2) is boring but still very important.

Btw, I suggest you to join #fprint channel at irc.freenode.org for
faster communication.