Wifi positioning backends

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Fri Jul 27 12:47:18 PDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Jussi Kukkonen <jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> So... what's the status with the backend?
>
> And, would it be a bad idea to do it in C instead of python?
>  * The bulk of the backend would be the same as hostip
>  * as nice as Python is it's still a not-installed-by-default dependency
>    on maemo
>  * as nice as Python is it still uses some amount of memory (considering
>    that we're talking about a service that runs all the time).

I think having at least a backend example implemented in Python is
good for encouraging developers to create new backends. Getting up and
running with Maemo Development isn't "easy" and can discourage some
new developers. Similarly, I think we should have a full Python
application example that uses the GeoClue service.

Your points are valid, and so maybe also having a C version for
default install is ok - but keeping the Python one as the
primary/example.