Failed to acquire name 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'

Garvan Keeley gkeeley at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 4 18:37:47 PST 2014

> You gotta configure it as './configure --sysconfdir=/etc
> --prefix=/usr`. Yeah, I know its annoying that you can't just install
> it to your own prefix and have to tell it explicitly where sysconfdir
> is but this is true for all system services AFAIK. However, I really
> should put that in README file..
>
> Regarding launching, when installed correctly, the service should
> launch automatically on use.

Thanks! The service is working now with that change.

Running the demo application, I get no location printed, just this:

Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/<some num>

And no further output; it waits a few seconds and exits. The service reports inUse==true during this time.

Running the service first with sudo ./geoclue, I can see more output

	• $ ./demo/where-am-i
	• (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
	• (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
	• Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/7
	• (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
	• (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed