Failed to acquire name 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Wed Nov 5 03:31:45 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM, Garvan Keeley <gkeeley at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> You gotta configure it as './configure --sysconfdir=/etc
>> --prefix=/usr`. Yeah, I know its annoying that you can't just install
>> it to your own prefix and have to tell it explicitly where sysconfdir
>> is but this is true for all system services AFAIK. However, I really
>> should put that in README file..
>>
>> Regarding launching, when installed correctly, the service should
>> launch automatically on use.
>
> Thanks! The service is working now with that change.

No worries, its not working if you don't get any location but at least
you are into the next problem. :)

> Running the service first with sudo ./geoclue, I can see more output
>
>         • $ ./demo/where-am-i
>         • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>         • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>         • Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/7
>         • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>         • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Assuming this is the output from geoclue rather than where-am-i (its
not obvious from the paste above), these types of errors usually
happen when your environment is somehow screwed (e.g built against a
different glib than linking against at runtime) but it could also just
be that you didn't do a clean build with different paths? Try `git
clean -dfx` and rebuild/install starting from `./autogen.sh
--sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr`. Hope this helps.

Oh and geoclue will output more if you define the environment variable
G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)