[gst-devel] RIFF parsing

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at tvd.be
Thu Mar 16 22:55:43 CET 2000

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Wim Taymans wrote:
>
> > Do you have any objections to having the RIFF parser behave like:
> >   gst_riff_new(callback_function);
>
> Are you coding the RIFF element as a standalone, or as a plugin to be
> paired with a specific parser?  My thought was to change the loading code
> so a WAV parser would attempt to load the RIFF plugin as a supporting
> library, not even a GstObject at all.

That was my thought too. We make something like a set of libraries with
common functionality.

> Common routines could be provided,
> along the lines of the _new function above, such that the WAV element
> could indeed consist of a chain() function that just calls
> gst_riff_chain() and relies on the callback to process things.

Yes! I have sort of it working allready for avi. I'm not really sure if
the buffer data should be handled by the riff parser too or just the
offsets and let the plugin use the offsets to extract the data from the
appropriate buffer.

Wim

--
He who steps on others to reach the top has good balance.