[gst-devel] feature request...

Richard Boulton richard.boulton at open.muscat.com
Wed Oct 4 13:48:32 CEST 2000

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 08:55:27PM +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
> We need a release soon.
>
> I'm currently trying to create a fairly usable glade-like
> GUI design tool for pipelines, but it will take some
> time to complete that task.
>
> What do you guys consider to be a crucial feature before
> making a 0.9.9-beta1 or something release?
I don't know about the version number, but I think the only crucial feature
for our next release is that it compiles and installs out of the box, and
there is a simple application that does something useful to show off what
the system can do.

Admittedly this isn't a very high standard (should probably be
0.9.9-alpha1), but its better than the current release (year old, doesn't
compile on my box), and would enable us to begin working out how to do
releases and work the wrinkles out of that process.

We've got the compile and install bit done.  The only problem is the simple
application - gstplay is the right kind of thing, but is a bit to flaky and
hacky even for my standards.

Before we go to something we're going to call a beta release we should have
a pretty much stable API - we shouldn't be planning any major changes which
will break source compatibility with people's applications.  I've no idea
whether this is the situation we're currently in... ?

>  - more ports (PPC status?)
Oh - we should fix it on PowerPC (currently there looks to be an endianness
confusion making everything sound like white noise, and video can't be
displayed), but that's down to Chris and myself, and anyone else who has a
PPC available, and shouldn't affect a release. ;-)

> Need to be redone:
>  - gstplay (make more dynamic)
>  - fix gstplay (seeking in MPEG2/AVI etc..)

> Need to be done before release:
>  - update web-site
>  - check RPM builds
.debs would be nice too.  I could do with learning how to make these for
work, so this task could be allocated to me.

Do we have a task manager somewhere which we should be using to allocate
and keep track of responsibilities?

--
Richard