[gst-devel] streaming server

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Jul 12 21:35:58 CEST 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Manuel wrote:

> Hmm, i'm getting a bit confused here, whats the difference between a
> 1-to-many server and a media server?
1-to-many means a single source with a single clock being broadcast to
many listeners/viewers, i.e. shoutcast.

A media server allows distinct sources and clocks for each client, just
like a webserver..

> In my head the idea is as follows (very simplistic visualisation):
> radiostation -> soundcard_line_in -> mpg123 -> httpsink
>
> The radiostation input can be changed to whatever input is needed, like
> mp3's on disk, or whatever.. The 'httpsink' should be a icecast type of
> streaming server, as Bastien Nocera says in his mail. There is no need for
> seeking forward or backwards, the clients just have to eat what they get
> served ;-P
Exactly.  s/mpg123/lame/ though ;-)

> Can you give me an example of a many-to-many server application? I'm not
> sure what you mean by that..
The main thing is that there really isn't much need for something like
GStreamer in that case.  When you're serving up media to different
clients, all you really need to do is make sure you're being really really
efficient.  Any processing should be kept to a mimimum.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_