[gst-devel] audio library

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Jun 6 18:29:25 CEST 2001

Hi everyone,

since I suspect that when gstreamer will be/is used for audio plugins
stuff, it would help to develop a common audio library with helper
functions and implementations of common algorithms.

So I created that in libs/audio, and added one function to calculate how
long (in time) a buffer is (based on caps of one of the pads), which I'll
use in a few of my plugins.

Anyone is welcome to add more functions; if it grows bigger we might have
to split it up.

For know I'm happy I was able to get all of the Makefile issues and the
dynamic loading right (in the cutter plugin), and while doing that I added
some stuff in the Wiki about creating helping libraries for gstreamer.

I hope some of the more knowledgeable people on here will review this
(it's at http://gstreamer.net/wiki/LibraryWriters ) and correct as
appropriate.  If there are no corrections I'll assume it's ok ;).  But
remove the disclaimer anyway then.

There are also some objections about include/gstaudio.h which I tend to
agree with; on the other hand I believe it helps audio plugin writers to
concentrate on getting the DSP right and not worry about which (sometimes
arbitrary) limits they should choose for their caps templates.  Anyway,
I'd like to get this done differently as well and any suggestions for that
are welcome.

Thomas

Just like you said
you leave my life