[gst-devel] release

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Jan 8 09:22:04 CET 2002

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Ok,
>
> so I rolled two 0.3.1 tarballs which, if no further errors are found,
> should be released.  (One for core, other for plugins)
>
> To be had from http://gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.1/src

I've tested these tarballs, and they build, install, and function. I
didn't check every single plugin, we'll have to wait for our automatic
test rig that we might have by next release. Nice work.

> RPMS (SRPMS and i386 rpms) can be had from
> http://gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.1/redhat

rpm folks, do these work? although i suppose you can always release a
0.3.1-2 series if these are defective in any way. let's release.

> I have to say however that I can't get either of the players to play audio
> and that worries me ;)

we'll fix this later.

> Therefore I would say we do not release any player at all and instead
> concentrate on getting the core and plugins right this time, then move
> quickly further with the new caps nego.
>
> Let's give arik the time to give us the player he wants.

right on.

> My personal preference would be to release a 0.4.0
> iaoi
>
> * a decent working player is included
> * new caps nego is in place
> * only gnome2 stuff allowed
> * we worked out all of the naming mess issues
> * we are happy with what gets installed where
> * we worked out a decent release practice
> * we worked out what to do with the micro versions
> * at least the core manual is easily buildable
> * we have rpm's and debs working
> * we have a working and useful testsuite
> * we have renamed and commented our media files (let's use short names for
>   them)
> * we can provide simple shell scripts to run gst-launch commands against
>   these media files (this would be great for people to report to us what
>   works and what not)

that's a plan.

> If we have all of this then I think we can provide a rock-solid 0.4.0
> release of which we can be proud and which we can actively promote for
> some time.

true, although i'm thinking already that 0.3.1 is looking pretty good...

we'll release within an hour or two, barring fatal bugs.

best regards,

wingo.