[gst-devel] release

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Tue Jan 8 10:27:03 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 15:54, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Ok,
>
> so I rolled two 0.3.1 tarballs which, if no further errors are found,
> should be released.  (One for core, other for plugins)
>
> To be had from http://gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.1/src
>
> RPMS (SRPMS and i386 rpms) can be had from
> http://gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.1/redhat
Ok, I downloaded and testet the RPMS and they work very well.

<SNIP>

> My personal preference would be to release a 0.4.0
> iaoi
>
> * a decent working player is included
> * new caps nego is in place
> * only gnome2 stuff allowed
> * we worked out all of the naming mess issues
> * we are happy with what gets installed where
> * we worked out a decent release practice
> * we worked out what to do with the micro versions
> * at least the core manual is easily buildable
> * we have rpm's and debs working
> * we have a working and useful testsuite
> * we have renamed and commented our media files (let's use short names for
>   them)
> * we can provide simple shell scripts to run gst-launch commands against
>   these media files (this would be great for people to report to us what
>   works and what not)

This plan got my vote, but if Wim thinks the new capsnego stuff is ready
in a week I have no objections to putting out a 0.3.2 with that and
other fixes we manage to put in this week.

> If we have all of this then I think we can provide a rock-solid 0.4.0
> release of which we can be proud and which we can actively promote for
> some time.
I am proud of what we have already :)

> >From that point on we can consider keing the core stable for
> practical development while our core hackers can tear apart the core as
> much as they want.
Well last time I suggested this I was told that there was no way we
should/could have a stable core before what I scheduled as 0.5.0 in the
dotplan. Anything frozen before that would be to much crack.

Christian