[gst-devel] GEGL & GStreamer

Charles Iliya Krempeaux tnt at linux.ca
Sun Jan 27 09:55:02 CET 2002

Hello,

This came up on IRC... well, I brought it up on IRC... but, as
suggested, I'm posting it on the mailing list (to bring it to the
attention of more of the GStreamer Developers).

I'd like to bring everyone's attention to GEGL:

     http://www.gegl.org/

This is the technology that will be the foundation for GIMP 2.

Note, that the website is a little out of date, since the
GIMP developers are busy porting the GIMP over to Gtk2, so GEGL
is on hold until that finishes.  But it is still going to be
the foundation of GIMP 2.

GEGL, like GStreamer, is based on the GObject, object system.
(Although GEGL uses GOB.)

However, GEGL primary function is to deal with images.

IMO, it is desirable to see GStreamer and GEGL integrate together.

That way we can use all the advanced image processing stuff, from
the GIMP, with GStreamer (based applications).  (And best of all,
I don't have to rewrite the GEGL stuff, for GStreamer, so that I
can use them in matterial <http://matterial.sf.net/>  :-)   )

Anyways, please take a look at the GEGL stuff, and give your opinions
about making them integrate together.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca