[gst-devel] release packages

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Mon Mar 11 13:24:06 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 21:56, David I. Lehn wrote:
> * Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus at linuxrising.org> [20020311 13:07]:
> > Setting this up is easy. But I don't really see the point until we have
> > a stable ABI. As long as the plugins and player will only work with the
> > core they are released with I think it will cause more confusion that
> > clarity to split them up at this point. As soon as the core ABI is
> > stable however and we will have plugins and player releases that are
> > made independent of the core then I agree with you.
> >

> I'm not quite sure what dependencies have to do with this.  I just think
> it makes sense to make it clear we have 3 packages available for
> download right now.  Or should I argue along with you and say due to
> dependencies we should put the plugins and player and editor back in the
> core tarball. ;)
>
> and yo, bzip2 is teaching gzip a lesson with our code.  30% better for
> the latest tarballs.

Ok, I partially misunderstood you first. Well if we add those packages
to the sourceforge download area then they will be split up when you
enter the page containing the packages. This means that you will have
all gstreamer core releases listed togheter and all gst-plugins releases
listed togheter etc. Which might make people simply miss seeing them.
Look at the galeon download area and pretend 'unstable' is the
gst-plugins package to see what I mean:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6999&release_id=73630

Christian