[gst-devel] GStreamer and gnome 2.2

iain iain at prettypeople.org
Tue Oct 29 09:17:03 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 12:33, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> 1) gnome-media
>   contains the sound recorder which iain has moved to GStreamer and
>   rumour has it he is happy with the transition.  "no more sox" is a good
>   reason too.

Lets put it this way: pre-gstreamer version never worked. Depended on
hack after hack after hack after hack and still rarely played samples.

The GStreamer version, however, plays audio from any media format
GStreamer handles, saves to wav, mp3, ogg or flac (hard coded at the
moment based on file extension because of issues between GST and
gnome-vfs - more later), can record without needing to rely on ESD, you
can seek in the file and DOESNT NEED SOX!!!!

Hopefully you can see that if we go with the GStreamer version we
actually have a usable sound recorder, and a fairly lightweight audio
player as well.

The issues between gst and g-vfs are that the mimetypes aren't in sync.
gnome-vfs can return that a mimetype is audio/mp3 and you can't find an
encoder for audio/mp3 because gstlame has its mimetype as audio/x-mp3
(this is an example, there are/were other cases of this). Easily fixed
when I have the time.

iain
--
The number of options for truth has eroded our confidence in
any real truth being left.