[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com
Wed Dec 17 04:16:04 CET 2003

> > Why anyone would think the sorry excuse of "check
> cvs commit
> > logs" is valid is beyond me :) I can understand though the
> reason of
> > being too lazy to update the ChangeLog, which is also fine by me.
> > It's just not my style.  I love ChangeLogs for looking up changes.
>
> I can answer this one: it doesn't work. I've tried it in the
> beginning, marking every change in the ChangeLog and
> committing it (this was long before I entered GStreamer, so
> previous projects).

It works for all the other GNOME projects. Every other GNOME project has a
ChangeLog entry for every single commit. A ChangeLog helps to organise chaos
without anybody actually organising anything.

> The bad thing is that *every single
> commit* by someone else would cause a CVS conflict in the
> ChangeLog file, because I had a bunchload of changes there
> too.

This is a minor annoyance.

On a similar subject, please use the NEWS file, so we can easily see what
major features and bugfixes are in each release.

> Also, if you're working on more than one thing at a time
> (which is usually the case), you have to manually edit the
> ChangeLog to only commit that change that you worked on, and
> then add the rest of your in-progress changes back. It's too
> much manual work.

Try not to do that. If your stuff needs to be developed separately, then try
to develop it separately.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc at usa.net