[gst-devel] new rules

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Dec 19 13:32:00 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 06:22:47PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> (BTW, ds, I've used cvs2cl today to look at what changed between
> releases for the release notes.  I thought it was horrible :) Given some
> of the commits I did today as well that shouldn't really be in a
> ChangeLog, I really rather would have no ChangeLog at all than one done
> by cvs2cl)

Arguably, this is partly due to the fact that we often do terrible
commit logs -- ones that cannot be understood out of context, a
context which appears to vary by developer and mood.  Some choice
commit logs:

        * asfdemux/README, avi/README, avi/gstavidemux.c,
          qtdemux/qtdemux.c, typefind/gsttypefindfunctions.c,
          avi/gstavimux.c: Change everyone to video/x-msvideo

        * modplug/gstmodplug.cc: This one was missing

        * festival/gstfestival.c: Woah, I'm f***ing annoyed that someonme
          never tests his changes and figures out that every freakin'
          format is identified as text/plain

At the very least, every commit log should say _what_ was changed,
and should not be dependent (even indirectly) on other commit log
entries.  Bonus points for explaining _why_ the change was made.

dave...