[gst-devel] Gst-Player discussion

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Wed Jan 15 11:38:05 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 11:38, Julien MOUTTE wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After being flamed for discussing this on irc here comes a mail on the ML to discuss about my thoughts...

I'll read it later

> I ve been working recoding the GstVideoWidget used by Gst-Player to avoid using gtk_socket which has some issues in event handling and versions of gtk. I am almost done with that stuff.

I've just read the code. As long as gdk_window_foreign_new_for_display
can display x windows from different threads then I'm all for it.

> I am a bit confused with that player here are the points :
>
> a) the control bar has changed, stop button disappeared. why ?

Because the HIG/Usability gurus said so. We got them to put together a
list of things that were needed and that was at the top. I'll dig out
the list and repost it later.

> b) Preferences to configure stuff have been commented out. why ?

Prefs never worked, they were disabled but not deleted because one day
they will be resurrected.

> c) the libgstmediaplay contains thousands of code lines that are never used. why ?

Some code is stuff that is ancient and never worked - I've deleted a lot
of that but there may still be some left. Some of the code is still
floating around from the recentish ui redesign. Some of that will be
deleted and some will be incorporated back into the ui at a later date

> If we plan to go into gnome, we will have to deal with HIG/Usability people...

thats why the ui changed.

> I think it would be definitely a good idea that someone tells me where are the mockup defining what gst-player has to be when in gnome, so that we can look at the code and maybe make it cleaner/stable/lighter, etc...
>
> If this analysis does not exists, it would be another good idea to get everybody's input and make one.

There is no mockup. There is a list which I will email later.

> I mean if prefs will never be used why keeping a widget in the lib for it and commenting lines everywhere...

I don't think disabled code hurts anyone, except people who are trying
to get familiar with the code. One day it will get deleted or used.

If you want to write some prefs widget to set gconf keys that would be
very handy.

> Don't misunderstand me...
>
> I m not the nth guy coming saying we have to rebuild from scratch that player,

Thank god for that, the last thing we need is another rewrite.

> i just want to point out that i don't know where we go with that player and when
> i ask to people they don't know neither...

Or they are asleep on the other side of the world ;)

> Please react on this as my opinion is that this player will be one of the front
> marketing of gstreamer in gnome... if this player sucks people will think Gstreamer sucks...

I have been the maintainer-by-default for a while now. I would have
liked the player to be in much better shape by now but real life has
conspired against me.  The only reason I took maintainership was because
at the time the player was a complete mess and there weren't *any* apps
that really showed off what GStreamer could do.

If there is someone else making commits to the player who actually has a
real interest in the app then this is a truly great thing. However you
don't have to point out how bad things are to justify contributing code
- your code is welcome.

cheers

--
Steve Baker <steve at stevebaker.org>