[gst-devel] Problem in working with helloworld sample

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Aug 23 01:55:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 19:28, Dinesh Ahuja wrote:
> I am new to GStreamer and have installed all the
> neccessary packages and tarball files in my RHLinux
> 9.0.

Welcome.  You know we have packages for GStreamer for RH9 ?

> I am facing problem in the below functions calls which
> gets failed:
>  /* now it's time to get the decoder */
>   decoder = gst_element_factory_make ("mad",
> "decoder");
>   if (!decoder) {
>    g_print ("could not find pluginasasa \"mad\"");
>    return -1;
>   }
>   /* and an audio sink */
>   osssink = gst_element_factory_make ("osssink",
> "play_audio");
>   g_assert (osssink);

How do you compile this program ?

> In my case both calls to gst_element_factory_make gets
> failed. I have used gst-inspect to get the details of
> mad and osssink plgins and they are as follows:
> [root at localhost bin]# gst-inspect ossaudio
> INFO ( 2391: 0) Initializing GStreamer Core Library
> version 0.6.4
> INFO ( 2391: 0) CPU features: (03020101) MMX SSE
> INFO ( 2391: 0) registry: loaded user_registry in
> 0.000281 seconds
>           (/root/.gstreamer/registry.xml)
> INFO ( 2391: 0) registry: loaded global_registry in
> 0.303135 seconds
>           (/var/cache/gstreamer-0.6/registry.xml)
> Plugin Details:
>   Name:         ossaudio
>   Long Name:    (null)
>   Filename:
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.6/libgstossaudio.so

This tells me that you are either in fact using packages, or you chose
to install from source to /usr instead of /usr/local (which is BAD.)
Which of the two is it ?

> What could be reason for the failing of those
> functions? Please any can guide me over this point.

Lots of stuff.  Please answers the questions so I can get an idea of
what you did.  Also, did you see that there is a 0.8 release series of
GStreamer, so there's no good reason to use 0.6 ?

> I have updated LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.6 path.

Don't do this, it's both unnecessary and wrong.

Thomas

yes i am
a long way
from home