[gst-devel] plan to write a bayer filter

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Dec 29 11:04:02 CET 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 09:39, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> 1) what type should I associate with the bayer encoded images?
> It doesn't really fit any of the types mentioned on
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-types-definitions.html
> Should I define a new mimetype?
> How about using a generic mimetype (like "video/x-raw") and
> specifying a "format" property that contains the fourcc code
> as reported by v4l2?

We initially aimed at that, and we've done that for a while (we've done,
for example, "video/avi,fourcc=XXXX" as definition for video stream
types for a very long time). However, it fails in many other ways (it's
not interoperable between elements, it doesn't actually define the type
at all, etc.). So we no longer use generic mimetypes, but just define
specific mimetypes and use those.

> 2) is it OK if the chain function of a plugin simply collects
> until it has received a full frame and then pushes a complete
> converted image out? (instead of doing it in smaller pieces)

For video, a plugin should (try to) send one frame per buffer.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>