[gst-devel] "bounties"/...

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 14 11:33:31 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 16:41, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I've had a request from someone who is willing to contribute some money
> to whoever has a go at implementing MIDI in GStreamer.  He was asking
> how to go about it, and I answered I had no idea and would ask you guys.
>
> So, there are people out there that don't mind paying a small amount as
> a "thank you" for getting some work done on something.
>
> So, what do you think ? Is there some way we can do this without turning
> into a for-pay community ? And, come to think of it, is anyone thinking
> about picking up the ball on MIDI support ? Leif, where are you ?
>
> Thomas

I'm definitely interested in helping with MIDI (and instrument file
support) in GStreamer. Attached is .c and .h of a boxed type for a MIDI
event structure. Its the same one used in the development version of
Swami (http://swami.sourceforge.net) with s/swami/gst/. Its pretty close
to what the ALSA sequencer uses. The SYSEX stuff needs to be added back
in, but it might be a good starting point. I think there are quite a lot
of advantages to passing around a parsed MIDI event structure, versus
using raw MIDI data. sink/sources could then be created for the ALSA
sequencer, RAW MIDI files, etc. I'm not real familiar with GStreamer
development yet (except that I have learned a lot from its use of
GObject and friends, and the influence has affected Swami/libInstPatch
greatly).

>From here I have a few questions in order to proceed, please forgive my
ignorance regarding GStreamer architecture.

- How should these boxed structures be routed around? (Swami uses a
control network which handles networking of arbitrary GValues)
- What kind of mime type should be assigned to a MIDI event stream?

I can start on GstAlsaSeq sink/source objects, but it will be all new to
me, as far as GStreamer is concerned (I have worked quite a lot with the
ALSA sequencer).

On a semi related note. Swami development is coming along real nicely,
and I hope to have a working product real soon now. At that point I
would like to proceed with writing GStreamer plugins for accessing and
converting instrument files (SoundFont, DLS and GigaSampler) and routing
them to software synths like FluidSynth (http://www.fluidsynth.org). If
anyone is interested in helping me integrate this, or Swami development
in general, please contact me. Best regards,
	Josh Green