[gst-devel] fractions

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Jul 14 14:46:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:35, David Schleef wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:43:41PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > If someone still wants to object to the principle of GstFraction, please
> > first answer which framerate fraction the double 29.969999000000001 came
> > from.
>
> 29 + 29099/29999.

Bzzt.  Next contestant.

The correct answer was 29969999/1000000.

> There are, of course, algorithms for figuring these things out.
> (I didn't bother to check if that can be simplified.)

There might be, but how would they be less "clever" than simple and
well-proven fraction mathematics ?

> We'll need this kind of conversion anyway, to convert a format that
> has a float framerate to fraction framerate.

Maybe we will.  I'm not convinced anymore we do though since there
doesn't seem to be a codec project anymore that uses floats over
fractions for framerate.  Unless you know one ?

> Conversely, how am I supposed to express a pixel ratio that smoothly
> varies over time from one value to another?

What would it represent, what practical use would it have, and how would
it deal with trying to display 13.2948 by 48.345891 pixels ?  Seems like
a non-issue to me.

Thomas

I'm alive.
I can tell because of the pain.