[gst-devel] How to debug the gstreamer code flow?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Mar 11 05:00:44 CET 2004

Hi,

> I need details on the profiling the Gstreamer core.

What exactly do you want to profile ?

> Also is the gst-launch is the only way to test the
> gstreamer?

No, writing apps/using apps works fine too.

> I want to undersand the Gstreamer code by going
> through the code flow. How do i do this?

Well, going through the code flow is a matter of reading the code :)
It can be helpful to you to read the manual first though, and to read
debug logs for simple gst-launch pipelines.

>  What i can
> understand the gstreamer is a Library and can be
> included in our code. But if I want to
> optimize/modify, i need to understand the code flow.
> How will I see the code flow?
> Also how to profile this code. Is it possible to test
> Gstreamer core (no plugins) alone?

Sure.  Standard profiling techniques apply.

Nobody cares when you're gone