[gst-devel] How to debug the gstreamer code flow?

vishy S vishy_s1976 at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 11 07:06:02 CET 2004

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the response.

Here we go :)

Basically I want to evaluate the entire gstreamer
core, before i start integrating the Media codecs into
Gstreamer framework C code. I need to know the memory,
MIPS and any other overheads that is added by the
Gstreamer code to the Media Player application. Its
true that the documentation says it does not add any
overhead, but even then i expect overheads by the
Gstreamer core practically. So I need to evaluate the
following with repect to Gstreamer core C code.

1. Memory and MIPS-> needs profiling, so i need a
profiler tools and methods to profile this installed
code. Problem i see here is, without integrating the
plugins i need to profile and evaluate. Do you suggest
any tools and ways to do this?

2. I need to eveluate the functionalities of the
Gstreamer core. Hence I need to find ways to test
other than using gst-launch and without integrating
the plugins.

3. I need to check memory leaks and memory management
by Gstreamer code. Are there any tools?

4. Can I build a binary of Gstreamer core alone in
debug version and start debuggin it? This way i can
understand the the code flow? Here i tihnk i can have
the dummy plugins whereever required. Am I correct?

I need to evaluate the effort required to make this
framework fully fit to handle all the multimedia
codecs integrated to form a media player application.

Thanks and Regards,
-vishwa-

 --- Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>
wrote: > Hi,