[gst-devel] How to debug the gstreamer code flow?

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 11 08:19:01 CET 2004

GStreamer doesn't do anything without plugins. Every element inside the
framework is built as a plugin. You can however just use the plugins shipped
by the GStreamer core itself, which are test plugins, file readers and other
generic elements.
GStreamer has some configure options to increase/decrease debugging options.
You can enable allocation tracing on compile for example or you can disable
the whole debugging stuff.
We have not done any heavy optimizing of our core yet. So I'd imagine there
being room for improvement. :)
To profile GStreamer we (or at least I) have used the common tools available,
like memprof, valgrind, oprofile.

Benjamin